[thelist] MySQL on Debian.

Andrew Chadwick andrew.chadwick at prnewswire.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 04:59:02 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:49:26AM +0100, George Palframan wrote:
> I am trying to get MySQL to work on a Linux box running Debian. I
> know little about either technologies so if anybody could offer some
> help in what i need to do to get it running I would very much
> appreiciate it.

What stage are you at in the installation? If you have the
mysql-server package installed, read the installation notes. On my

  $ less /usr/share/doc/mysql-server/README.Debian
  $ man -k mysql
  $ man mysql

I find that it's better to use the mysql-server package from the
unstable distribution right now. It seems to me that it's slightly
more reliable than the ones in stable or testing, and certainly it's a
lot newer.

After it's installed OK, it should start running. You'll need to set a
root password though, but the installation notes describe how to do

Hope this is of some help.

Andrew Chadwick, UNIX/Internet Programmer, PR Newswire Europe, Oxford
The views or opinions above are solely mine and are not necessarily those
of PR Newswire Europe. The message may contain privileged or confidential
information; if you are not a named recipient, notify me, and do not copy,
use, or disclose this message. <andrew.chadwick at prnewswire.co.uk>.