[thelist] Hardware list or reviews of web servers?

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Wed Jan 2 18:05:18 CST 2002

I agree, if price/performance ratio is your most important metric, then a
Dual Athlon server is the way to go. At our shop, we are 100% Intel/HP
rackmounts, and we pay through the nose for that extra bit of security
knowing that if something goes wrong with a server, HP will have the
replacement part here in 4 hours. We could probably build two or three AMD
server's with the amount we pay for 1 HP 1U Dual P3 1.26 Ghz system...

If I had the time or inclination (and willingness to out argue the Intel
bigots...heh) we would be 100% hand built Athlon based though. Check out
this Anandtech article where they state that the Dual Athlon might be the
"perfect server".
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1514

jon