[thelist] Hardware list or reviews of web servers?

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 3 12:24:41 CST 2002

Hey Chris :)

Chris George wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the info!  Here's some more info on what our server does:
>
> December Monthly Averages:
> Kbytes: 16503185
> Hits:   2156303
> Files:  1628533
> Pages:  1076881
> Visits: 69118
>
> We run Redhat, Apache and ServletExec.  You see, our SQL server is on a box
> with at least 2 other SQL databases (all MS) as well.  Our web server load
> consistently tops out at +300%... What we're also thinking is our database
> queries might be bottlenecking at the SQL box...

what kind of connection do you have to the DB? is it bottlenecking there
because the other DB's are using resources or because its on a slow network?

the amount of traffic you're getting is a good amount, and upgrding to
mid level CPU's and more RAM should get you where you want to be. dual
athlons at 1.2Ghz and 1Gb of RAM will more than do the job for that kind
of traffic while taking into account some future growth.. if anything,
get more RAM than CPU power for your webserver and try to find out what
the prob is with your DB.. you can get the fastest webserver in the
world, but if its waiting on a slow DB, it won't matter how many Ghz you
throw at the webserver :)

holler if you need more help or anything :)

.djc.