[thelist] User agent: browser and OS

David Shadovitz david_shadovitz at xontech.com
Thu Jun 6 14:39:19 CDT 2002

A few days ago Matt posted the May '02 stats for evolt.org.  I'm
interested in doing the same for my site, and so I'd like to know his
rules for categorizing the user agent by browser and OS.  You've got to
know what you're doing, since, for example, the user agent for Opera
contains both "MSIE" and "Opera".  Feel free to chime in.

Thanks.
-David

FYI #1: A snippet of Matt's "May 2002 stats for evolt.org" message:
Browsers & OS info:
MSIE-based clients held down the fort with about 71% of requests.
Netscape clients brought home 9.2% while Opera came in with 2.4%.
Konqueror came in with 0.36%.
Windows systems account for 75.4% (99 requests from WindowsCE!)
Mac 4.5%
Unix 3.3% (3% of which is Linux)
WebTV 0.2%
Werd up to the person who's visiting evolt with Atari!

FYI #2: A list of user agents who've visited my site, along with an
attempt to categorize them by browser and OS:
http://members.evolt.org/dshadovi/traffic.cfm#user_agent