[thelist] testing for empty in javascript or vbscript

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Mon Jul 15 20:06:19 CDT 2002

    | the eval() function is WAY WAY overused by programmers.

Agreed!

    | Danny Goodman says if you are using eval(), you need to
    | find a better way of doing things. Some people say if you
    | are using eval, you are just being lazy (that might be a
    | bit harsh ;))

Who's Danny Goodman? But eval is way way useful if you are drawing a lot
of Javascript dynamically. For an intranet system, where we could settle
for IE-only solution, eval() was almost indispensible. Besides,
sometimes, a server side language will impose constraints on you that
will go against the grain of coding puritanism..e.g., I don't like to
call my radio buttons "myradio[]" (with those braces) but I have to do
it in PHP.

Why did I wake up today! Its raining/storming/typhooning out here in
Tokyo like there's no tomorrow. How's that for an eval(weather)... :)

-S.