[thelist] SSH to MySQL from Windows

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Wed Jul 17 19:11:00 CDT 2002

At 16:14 17/07/2002 -0700, you wrote (concerning Putty)
>Cool. I had already downloaded it. But with all my knowledge of networking,
>I can't make it work. I get a window with a blinking cursor, but nothing
>happens; then the window disappears. When I try to connect to the host in
>question via telnet, the connection is refused, so at least *something's*
>happening.

I used to have problems like that as well, but I don't any more. I can't
say why unfortunately - Putty is a strange piece of software in that once
you get the knack of it it just seems to work fine. I never touch any of
the options (the defaults have worked fine for me for every server I've
ever used it with) - try the following:

1. Load up Putty
2. Type your server's host name / ip address in to the box
3. Select the SSH radio button
4. Type a descriptive name (e.g "My Server") in to the Saved Sessions box
5. Click "Save"
6. Double click the newly added "My Server" item in the list box

At the end of that lot you should have a nice saved shortcut for your
server which works when you double click it. Don't ask why but Putty always
seems to work fine for me when I do this.

Incidentally, if your mySQL server supports connections from outside hosts
(many don't, some do) have a look at MysqlFront from www.mysqlfront.de -
it's a superb GUI interface for MySQL that has all the functionality of
phpMyAdmin with the advantage that it connects from your host PC and has a
much more useful interface.

Regards,

Simon Willison
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/