[thelist] Nested Queries

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Wed Aug 21 14:07:00 CDT 2002

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil wrote:
>>I agree you should probably have your groups define their parent rather
>>than have you groups define their children, otherwise you will have some
>>work to do.

That is refered to as multiple-inheritence in the OO world.  If you have
multiple-inheritence in your group hierarchy you will probably also have
a many-to-many relationship between groups in which case you won't have
a parent_id or child_id column, as such, in the group table but instead
use another table to manage that.  This tends to enter into the realm of
graph theory and the associated algorithms which tend to be much more
complex than tree algorithms.  I would hope that Josh S is not working
with a graph of groups! **shiver**

-- Steve