[thelist] What is PHP?

Tim Luoma luomat at peak.org
Thu Nov 21 14:28:37 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 djinn at darkdesigns.org wrote:

> [Disclaimer - those who want to tell me to use Google, please delete this
> message. I know there are people on this list who are knowledgeable enough
> about PHP to point me to the *right* information, not just *all* of the
> information.]

'+what +is php' at google would give you the *right* information

> No, I don't expect an in-depth explanation on this list, but if anyone
> can point me to a good, concise source that they like, I would
> appreciate it. I'm especially interested in what kind of things PHP is
> best at.

PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is
especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML. If
you are new to PHP and want to get some idea of how it works, try the
introductory tutorial. After that, check out the online manual, and the
example archive sites and some of the other resources available in the
links section.

It's the first thing on the PHP homepage for pete's sake...