[thelist] more sql help

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 20:15:01 CST 2002

--- Paul Cowan <evolt at funkwit.com> wrote:

> Do you mean:
>
> Category1
>     SubCategory1.1
>         MenuItem1.1a
>         MenuItem1.1b
>     SubCategory1.2
>         MenuItem1.2a
> Category2
>     ... etc ...

That is exactly right. Now I *think* the way Rudy had wanted me to
set it up was that a category could act as a subcategory also..i'm
just not clear on that. But how you wrote it above, is exactly how
i'd want it.

> If you're trying to reach my example above, I would suggest that
> you have:
>     Category
>     --------
>     CategoryId
>     ....... blah
>
>     SubCategory
>     -----------
>     SubCategoryID
>     CategoryID (references category.categoryid)
>     ....... whatever
>
>     MenuItem
>     --------
>     MenuItemID
>     SubCategoryID
>     ....... and so on
>
> MenuItem would then just have a SubCategoryId, not a categoryID.

So you are saying categories would only have subcategories under
them? Problem is sometimes there *aren't* subcategories at all, and
sometimes there are...

Based on that would I still try what you wrote?

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.pixelmech.com/