[thelist] Use PHP for content?

MarsHall evolt at MARSorange.com
Thu Nov 21 21:04:00 CST 2002

On Thursday, Nov 21, 2002, at 17:46 US/Central, Ray Hill wrote:
> But if you want to change the HTML elements that make up the
> navigation and look/feel of the site, or you want your site to behave
> the same on all browsers, then this trick [print stylesheets] doesn't
> cut it.

When designing with CSS (separating the content from style), print
stylesheets *do* give *all* the design control you thought you only had
in HTML (and more features like: page breaks and absolute size units
(inches, mm, pts...))

Your craving to have your site "behave the same on all browsers" is
converse to the way the Web works. Inherently, sites look different
(and print even more different) in different user-agents. This is a
know fact. This is why CSS is good. Standard styles, baby!

Alternate-media stylesheets are not just a "trick", they are a
standardized means to repurpose HTML content for other uses.

> And personally, I'd rather have my user click one extra link when they
> want
> to print something

The question is: Will they click that print link, or just hit print?

Print stylesheets, which probably the user will NEVER realize are
there, *just work*. In older browsers... the users never know the
difference anyway.

The most useful and profound technologies are the things that simply
work for us, so that we do not have be conscious of what is happening
under-the-hood.

Mars :)