[thelist] Concise list of web design good practices

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 11:36:00 CST 2002

--- rudy <r937 at interlog.com> wrote:
> > Are there any reference sites that cover the basics
> > (what to do... what not to do...) in language your mum
> > would understand? I'm thinking more of good
> > practice rather than HTML techniques.
>
> graham, use these for comic relief somewhere in your presentation

Okay, I wasn't going to post this but Rudy started it..

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail51.html

I think this is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen, especially
the part about the flash intro. Watch it twice.

Ok, a tip for posting this:

<tip type="javascript confirm dialogs" author="pixelmech">
When you are giving the user an option to cancel or continue a
process with a confirm dialog, its a good idea to let them in on the
exact item referred to. eh what?

For example, lets say you are using a confirm to make sure they want
to delete an item in a list of 10 items. What many users will do is
click delete, then see the confirm box and wonder - wait - what did I
click on and do I really want to delete it? So they cancel, and make
sure they carefully read the item before deletion.

To avoid this, when you call your confirm box, send along some info
as parameters, like so:

onclick(or whatever) = "confirmTheDelete(itemName);"

Then in your confirm box you can tell them "Hey you are about to
delete ITEM NAME, are you sure, knucklehead?" instead of just "Hey,
knucklehead, do you really want to delete this?"

A little info goes a long way :)
</tip>

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();