[thelist] How to install various browsers (esp IE) on one m/c ?

Aylard, James JA jaylard at equilon.com
Tue Dec 31 19:16:01 CST 2002

> > > I've got IE4 installed on my W98 m/c atm, and I'd like 5.0, 5.5,
> > > 6.0 and maybe 3.? too just for fun. But everyone I ask seems to
> > > think any more recent IE will simply overwrite my 4.0, which is
> > > no fun at all.

	The archives are generously populated with variations on this
thread, so I had intended to steer clear of this one. But since my favorite
answers haven't yet appeared, I decided to pop in and say a few words.
	If you want to run multiple Win32 versions of IE, get VMware [1].
It's incredibly stable and allows you to run multiple virtual machines
simultaneously, each hosting a different version of IE. I use it, like it,
and recommend it. And I don't get paid for the endorsement. You can also
consider Virtual PC [2] from Connectix, especially useful if you want to run
Windows on a Mac [3].

> 5.0 or 5.5: download browser, be sure to check 'Custom Install' =>
> 'Advanced' => 'Keep IE4' (or something).
>
> This does *not* work for IE6.
>
> 3.0: Next to 4 and 5.0, I succesfully installed a 16bits IE3
> on WinNT and
> Win2000, not, however, on Win98. Get a 16bits version from
> browsers.evolt.org

	Despite being an ardent fan of PPK and the generous research and
insight that he offers to the web development community, I strongly
recommend against the shoehorn approach to installing IE that he recommends
for the following reasons:

1) It leaves IE 6 out in the cold, as he acknowledges

2) If my recollection is correct, only IE 5 -- and not IE 5.5 -- supports
compatibility mode for IE 4, which also leaves IE 5.5 out of the mix

3) As others have stated, IE 4 in compatibility mode [4] is not identical to
a native installation of IE 4. I have personally seen this with regard to IE
filters, some of which would not work in IE 4 compatibility mode. How can
you be sure that what you're seeing in IE 4 compatibility mode is what your
users are seeing in native IE 4?

4) Although virtually no one uses IE 3 any longer, of those who do, what
percentage use the 16-bit version instead of the 32-bit version? Offhand, I
don't know. But rest assured that, in its day, the 32-bit version had a much
larger installed base than the 16-bit version. And the 16-bit version --
designed for Windows 3.x -- is functionally different from the 32-bit
version. Will testing in the 16-bit version actually provide you with
meaningful information that you can apply to anyone using the more common
32-bit version?

1. http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html
2. http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5w.html
3. http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc6m.html