[thelist] Indexing 'Virtual' Domain Names

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 13:28:51 CST 2003

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> Let's say I register the names one.com, two.com and three.com.  I point all
> of them to my 'real' site numbers.com which has a home page with the text
> 'Numbers.com.'
>
> My question is will the search engines index one.com and two.com and
> three.com? I presume they will (eventually) index numbers.com, but I am
> uncertain about the others.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

"Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially
duplicate content."

I don't know how it would affect your search engine rankings, but it
seems Google frowns on multiple domains with "substantially duplicate" -
but that may not include domains with identical content.

--
Simon Willison
Web development weblog: http://simon.incutio.com/