[thelist] testing .htaccess

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Oct 8 03:45:21 CDT 2004

Mark Gillingham wrote:
> I'm using some redirection statements in a directory containing an
> .htaccess file, which works in two other situations (and more because
> it's standard for the application I'm using). On a pretty straight
> Debian system the .htaccess file does not work--no redirection.

which redirection statements? Redirect, Alias, RewriteRule?  if you
include an example of the conf directives in question it might make it
easier for folks to help you

> How can I test the httpd.conf to isolate the problem?

apachectl configtest

> ...Are these types of errors written to a log file?

sure, if apache is configured to log errors, which it normally does by
default. you might try something like:

grep -i errorlog < /path/to/apache/conf/httpd.conf

(or just look at the contents of the httpd.conf)

to see what error logs your is generating.

hth,

-dave