[thelist] RE: checked or unchecked boxes

ANDREA STREIGHT astreight at msn.com
Wed Oct 20 12:47:30 CDT 2004

Scott Brady:

I repeat: I said I personally know of no situation where a box could
legitimately be "pre-checked", but I'm not Omniscient, so there may indeed
be a permissible context.

I still have not heard or seen any.

Yes--"check here to receive newsletter" is vastly superior to "uncheck here
to not receive newsletter".

Would you like to go shopping at the grocery store, and all the carts are
"pre-filled" with several items the store thinks most people should want to
buy?

Would you like to have your spouse "pre-selected" and you have to divorce
the person to "un-select" them?

Would you like to have your TV programs "pre-selected"? Your government
officials, from top to bottom?

All the marketing gurus I know of, including me, state that consumers
appreciate and seek choice. It's *almost* always better to offer *multiple*
versions of products, rather than "one size (and color) fits all".

See: in every case, I question--why are you "pre-selecting" for me? I
suspect that this is wide open for con artists to hope you are in a hurry,
as the majority of web users are, so you may neglect, in your hurry, to
"un-check" the option.

Sweepstakes promoters, junk mail distributors, etc. have been trying scams
like this for ages, and it took legislation to stop them. Of course these
slugs just stoop to newer levels of lowness and use a different ploy until
the law comes down on it.

If anyone out there knows a legit reason to "pre-select", other than the
specific case originally mentioned, which is very different from what I
thought it was, I'd be pleased to hear about it.

I know that even the most universal rules often have some exceptions to
them. By knowing the exceptions, we gain deeper wisdom.

Steven Streight
STREIGHT SITE SYSTEMS
Web Usability Analysis
Web Content Writing