[thelist] LAMP vs. Perl vs. Ruby on Rails

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Thu Feb 10 01:24:10 CST 2005

Hi Jay, list...

[Modules]

Hmmm, then please take a look at the collection of stuff at www.cpan.org
and show me something similar for PHP. :) I am honestly interested in
that since we're still maintaining some PHP based systems and often I
end up doing things manually again where I just would enter CPAN to get
an appropriate module in Perl...

[DB access]
> * PHP can access virtually every known SQL source as well.

Oh, so did they finally get rid of functions like mysql_connect()  in
favor of something more abstract at this level of API? That
would be a good thing, after all...

[Embedding code]
> Good coding practices are in the hands of the developers, not the
> language.

You're right on that, but for what I know, one of the reasons why PHP
got that popular immediately fast was right the fact that it was
possible to easily embed PHP code into static HTML to quickly fill sites
with database results. I remember than when PHP finally started to be
used for building dynamic websites, both Perl and Python have been
around for quite some years, already being matured, reliable and
powerful languages usable for right the kind of stuff people suddenly
started using PHP. Before the advent of PHP, I never thought someone
actually would really need just another scripting language for building
dynamic web sites...

> Not that I want to start a religious war, but both have their strong
> points.

I guess in the end all this discussion is not about religion but about
preferences (where there are a lot of things which are just about
personal likes and dislikes), but overally, as stated above, I always
was in doubt whether the world actually would have needed yet another
scripting language...

Cheers,
Kris