[thelist] 414 - URI Too Large

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:44:28 CDT 2005

On 7/4/05, Richard Livsey <richard at livsey.org> wrote:
> I have a client who is reportedly getting a 414 (URI Too Large) error
> when submitting a form on their site.
>
> This is confusing me as:
>
> a) It's a POST submission, so the URI stays the same.
> b) I (or anyone else for that matter) can't duplicate it in any browser.
>
> There's a fair bit of data being submitted, but nothing obscene.
> Aparently it happens every time they submit this form.
>
> Has anyone seen this kind of thing before, or know how to track down
> what's going on?

Check the apache logs. What does it say when they request and receive
this error? That will help narrow down whether it's the client
misinterpreting an error code or something. Also, it will let you look
at the URI it's using. Maybe it's sending it GET even though it's
specified as POST? Did you validate the HTML? That might show an
unmatched quote or something that could possibly explain thigns.
Without more information about the client, it's difficult to say
anything. But I'd start with the apache logs. Have them give you a
date and time when they made a request (or tell them to make a request
and note the date time).

--
Matt Warden
Miami University