[thelist] SQL Server, Updates and Locking Hints

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Jul 5 15:33:07 CDT 2005

On 5/07/2005 3:04 PM +0100 Chris Hayes wrote:
> I'm guessing here, but rather than not recommend a book I think you typo'd
> this, I spent a while scanning the end of the sentence for the word
> "enough".

Errr... yes. I can't recommend it ENOUGH.

Thanks Chris.

<tip type="SQL" author="Paul Cowan">
If you often have to update multiple tables in one transaction, come up
with a consistent order in which to do it -- "always update the Authors
table first, THEN the Books table, THEN ... " etc. If you stick with a
consistent order, you'll greatly reduce the chance that any contention
problems will lead to deadlocks.
</tip>