[thelist] Dynamic Drive on Webserver

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Tue Jul 5 22:42:06 CDT 2005

Hey Joshua,

First thought is to reactivate the disk
1.In Disk Management, right-click the dynamic disk you want to
reactivate, and then select Reactivate Disk. Confirm the action when
prompted.

2.If the drive status doesn't change, you might need to reboot the
computer. If this still doesn't resolve the problem, check for problems
with the drive, its controller, and the cables.

You could also try rescanning the disk (select Rescan Disk from Disk
Management's Action menu) although there are reportedly some caveats
that I've never experienced. Apparently sometimes drive letters will be
reassigned without any prompt or warning which can include reassignment
of the boot drive and sometimes at reboot, it might incorrectly report
Ntoskrnl.exe is missing... I'd google it before doing it.

Ref: w2k3 pocket consultant

If you need to recover data, you might want to use a Knoppix disk to
grab the data off that disk and then test the disk.

Hth
-chris