[thelist] DHTML Question

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:44:19 CDT 2005

On 7/7/05, Scott Wehrenberg <swehren at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/05, Steve James <steve at epicunion.com> wrote:
> > I want to make a global change to all divs using javascript, but they
> > don't have ID's (trying to make this XHTML compliant). Is there a way to
> > do something to the affect of:
> >
> > document.div.style.visibility = "hidden";
> >

> divs = document.getElementsByTagName('div');
> for(var i in divs)
> {
>     divs[i].style.visibility = 'hidden';
> }

Careful, there. Your loop isn't going to work like you expect. This is
because properties in JS are implemented as an associative array, and
they'll end up as keys in your for loop. So, you're going to get a
bunch of errors stating that, for example, divs[length] is not an
object. See:

http://mwarden.f2o.org/sandbox/jsforeachtest.htm

--
Matt Warden