[thelist] Dreamweaver site (template?)

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Sun Jul 10 09:47:39 CDT 2005

> I couldn't agree more!

> > This is why DreamWeaver templates are a big waste of time
> and I always
> > advise clients using them to move away from them.  I find that a
> > combination of CSS and SSI provide more site wide control
> than the DW
> > templates.
> >
> > Rich

And while you guys happen to be most likely correct, I don't think it's
helping anyone solve the problem.

Roger, what technology is in play here?  Is it static HTML or is there
something like PHP, CFMX, etc. etc.?

Since it appears that it's actual DW templates, it can get messy and
you'd need to make sure that, once the template is updated, it gets
pushed out to all the pages that it is associated with.  I don't have my
trusty little study guide with me that I used when taking the DW exam
nor do I use DW templates (like others, I do agree that they're not a
great thing), however, utilize the Help system and/or Macromedia's
forums to see what you can find about Updating Templates.  I know
there's something about making sure the pages that have the template in
it also get updated so that they all reference the correct code--in
fact, it almost sounds like she's ONLY updating the template and not
actually updating all the pages that would be changed, as well, since
it's all HTML code.

Does that make sense?  To put it another way:  You cannot just FTP up
the template; all of the pages that utilize that template will also need
to be updated.

Hope that helps,

Russ