[thelist] ImageMagick and convert

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Wed Oct 4 09:23:01 CDT 2006

Sort of different situation, but I do just that with an upload image
script I wrote.  I'm doing a lot of playing around with image galleries
and slideshows which come in all shapes and sizes.  In early stages of
uploading images I used to place them in a single directory but
different suffix upon rename ( image.jpg, image_thumb.jpg, etc).  Then
of course the display script would grab an image based upon the suffix.
The directory started to get crowded so I changed to using different
directories (orig, tn, ltn - for large thumbnail, etc).  Once this
became ugly, I more recently added a smarter naming convention for the
directories themselves ( 75x75, 360x270, 640x480, original, etc).
640x480 houses both portrait and landscape images.  The query that pulls
images to display does a check to see if L or P.

By default gimp sets the resave quality to 85% which is pretty high.
With Gimp the first time I 'resave' a file, if I select 100% it will
bump up the size a small percentage.  70% is usually good enough for the
web and makes for quite a savings in size.

However when I use ImageMagick and convert, I've seen 100% literally
double the image, so indeed there may be some odd behavior with convert.
I have to drop the percentage way down to realize comparable savings
compared to gimp or photoshop.  To do a one-time save, it's a bit of a
guessing game, but a series of if/else or a case statement can get me in
the ballpark. This equates to what you call a filter.

Imagemagick/convert is generally out there and available to be included
in processing scripts, whereas gimp, photoshop, psp, etc are not.  The
requirement, in my mind, is to be able to upload images (for clients who
don't know or want to know how to manipulate them), offer one or several
processing options (through the script form) which I already do, and
copy/rename the file as necessary. Resampling the image to a smaller
dimension works, it's just that odd re-saving behavior (over-bloating
the size) of convert has me scratching my head.

Thanks.  -Bob