[thelist] "Web 2.0 sites with the big friendly fonts"

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Wed Feb 21 06:50:07 CST 2007

In his article about popular layout decisions
[http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/design/making-popular-layout-decisions],
Eric Meyer fleetingly mentioned "those spiffy new Web 2.0 sites with the
big friendly fonts".

I don't know how much sarcasm was loaded into the remark, it was pretty
much an inane aside, but I kind of know what he's talking about.

Login pages on Wordpress are an example of this: and by this, I mean
people who would fall into the notion of Web 2.0, or like to through it
about, using massive font sizes for all sorts of small elements in quick
succession. By massive I mean 30px +. And these aren't headings.

With repeated forms, I can kind of understand where the notion comes
from - in the same way I raise my voice slightly if somebody asks me to
repeat myself. But this is only a specific usage of it.

What's this all about? Is it worthwhile? Discuss.

Regards,
Barney