[thelist] OT: Need a new laptop for development...

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Nov 30 03:31:27 CST 2007

I absolutely agree that Macs are similarly priced to equivalent PCs.

However, there is a definite lack of customisability in the Apple range.
Want to have a second hard drive (maybe to run virtual machines) in a modular bay? No. Ditto for extra batteries etc
Want a docking station? No.
Want to be able to run 2+ monitors off your laptop? No
That's where the PC options shine - infinitely customisable.

> The G3 PowerMac before that is now *9* years old
> and is plenty functional for most tasks. TCO anyone?

Sure - I can run XP (or a Linux distro) on a 9 year old PC. The difference is that with XP I'm still supported, and get security patches etc.

With Mac OSX, I now need to be running MacOSX 10.4.x or 10.5.x if I want patches.

So please, let's avoid the FUD.

Cheers
Ken