[thelist] Questinging JS was "AJAX Calls Working Intermittently in IE"

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Thu Mar 13 06:48:17 CDT 2008

At 10:08 PM 2008-03-12, you wrote:
> > Joshua,
> >
> > You have given great advice over the years and I'm amazed that you
> > even said that, do we really need to be asking "why support
> non-js users" anymore?
>
> > Graceful degradagtion, unobtrusive javascript anyone?

I think so Ben. I'm a developer. And because of that the web is less
of a mystery to me than say, my mother. I *know* what's out here to
get me. I surf with my scripting off using NoScript and only turn it
on for site that I trust. This way I'm not GoogleAnalysed, third
party cookie tracked or cross site script attacked. I don't worry
about a whole class of vulnerabilities that javascript opens my
machine up to. Javascript and browser attacks are the latest rage in
compromising your machine. I also don't allow java, or flash, or
pretty much anything that is embedded.

My personal approach is do *everything* on the server for the front
end, and when that's' rock solid, feel free to add bells and
whistles. If your site doesn't work naked (even without CSS) then it
needs work. Even RiaForge, a most excellent site loses half of it's
functionality with JS turned off. But I trust the author :)

I will admit that on password protected admin sides where you get to
dictate to the client what browser they'll use, that Ajax can come in
pretty handy.

Ajax is like masturbation, it feels good but you don't do it in public :)

Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.