[thelist] Rights with a non paying client...?

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Mon Apr 7 16:14:34 CDT 2008

> when in doubt get part-payment in advance. Most
> people who are unwilling to pay part-payment near the start
> of a project will likely stiff you or be a complete pain to
> get payment from at the end.

I don't wait 'til I'm in doubt. We don't start work until we've got a
signed contract, and a deposit. We get a 40% deposit up front on all
jobs, and 40% when the first draft goes live. Before the client actually
sees any work on our basic sites, we've got 80% of our money. My wife's
hourly rate virtual assistant business charges her bulk discount clients
*in advance* for their total for the month.

Not once has a client of either business balked. And, not once have we
been stiffed, or even had to work very hard to collect.

joel