[thelist] Implementing a Content Delivery Network

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:54:49 CDT 2008

We run a website for the State of Ohio that has about 2,000 images in
a repository. I am not 100% sure, but I think that having these images
on our server, alongside the application, is drastically slowing
things down. To the point that connections are timing out. I used the
YSlow to check some of the pages, and it suggests a Content Delivery
Network (CDN).

Of course, we are on a shoestring budget, and I seriously doubt that
we could afford any of the *real* services like Akamai.

So what would our options be? Set up a second server that is used to
manage the images? Like images.example.com?

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications