[thelist] Instance-hour

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Wed May 21 18:35:25 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 08:12, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Amazon Web Services
> could anyone explain clearly what an
> instance-hour actually is and how I would calculate my likely usage?

what service are you investigating?

no expert myself but having just looked into EC2 this week, it seems they just
start a timer when you "boot up" (initialize) your virtual server. Timer goes
off when you shut down. It's that simple AFAIK.

So at $0.10/hr for the "Small Instance" thats $74.40 a month if you don't shut
it down, which is in the same range as other virtual-dedicated hosts I know
of (mediatemple). But the bandwidth is also metered and is additional. I plan
to use it for occasional development and maybe backups eventually, so my cost
should be quite reasonable.

Sam