[thelist] Rescuing Mac data

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Fri Jun 6 09:16:14 CDT 2008

On Thursday 05 June 2008 17:34:22 Chris Price wrote:
> Is anyone out there familiar with GNU ddrescue and rescuing data from a
> Mac.
>
> I've dabbled with the terminal before but Unix is a bit scary for me.
> --
> Chris Price

I've used it to get the data off a drive that was pretty near dead, almost had
to spin the platters by hand, windows wouldn't run period...

The PC (winxp) did have a functional cd drive, so I used the knoppix live cd
disc. Don't use ddrescue, it doesn't handle bad blocks and don't use
dd_rescue or it will take forever.

Use dd_rhelp with Knoppix, it uses dd_rescue but skips the bad blocks until
later and also can work from both sides at once. Still takes a while, but in
time you should get everything except for where the bad parts are. Lots of
tutorials out there for it, here's a start:
http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html
--
cheers,

	Mark