[thelist] Review my site..... Please

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:15:29 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Jack Timmons <jorachim at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Martyn <Sales at medes.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chaps,
>>

>> I have had my site up and running since October now, with changes and
>> improvements taking place weekly. I am working my way up google amongst
>> other engines, my problem is I cannot seem to get enough quality
>> traffic, I have tried Adword but the keywords are too expensive (£10-20
>> each) Adcenter is ok but market share is so low, so far I have had no
>> contact whatsoever from the site.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated     www.medes.org.uk
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Martyn

Incoming design critique:

- It seems pretty standard fare, like by visiting the website I'm having the
same experience as the drive-through at Burger King.
- Your copyright bar could use reworking. A blue bar with some beveling does
not a footer make, especially when it's done like that.
- The footer itself seems like like a place to stick all the garbage.
- I'm not being met with any inspiration toward why I'd want to employ your
company upon visiting the page. If I have to find reasons to employ you,
then I'm not going to bother. Asking clients to "browse through our site
where you will find information on previous and current client projects" is
not a good way to draw them in, IMO. That's acceptable if you create a
strong face on the website that excites people enough to investigate. As it
stands, it just seems like the french fries are getting cold.
- Your Accreditation page looks like it was done in either frontpage or
publisher.

Additional Markup critique:
- Double br's in paragraph tags? Why not just put the other line in it's own
p?
- title attributes on images help a lot

Don't take it hard, it's tough love. A lot of that will help increase
traffic by allowing search bots to index your site better, and increase
interest on the user end, if executed right.

Now, back to my own sculpting of html.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com