[thelist] They emptied the MySQL DB

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 09:27:55 CDT 2009

Hi Fred,

> I told him that I am 99.9% certain that there is no way to retrieve
> that lost data, but I thought I would check...

There are dozens of ways to backup a database [1] and if they have not
adapted one of them before production, it's their problem.

If the data is so "critical" and the system is a live one then your client
should have already scheduled daily and weekly incremental / full backups
for his database;
(weekly full backups and daily incremental backup in most common cases)

-- unless they are

a) unexperienced
b) careless
c) stupid

In either case they deserve what has happened and I believe it will be a
good lesson for them.

Some things cannot be learned unless you experience them alive ;)

[1]
"10 Ways to automatically and manually backup mysql database"
http://www.noupe.com/php/10-ways-to-automatically-manually-backup-mysql-database.html

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik