[thelist] need to register in every U.S. state / online donations

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Apr 19 16:56:22 CDT 2010

Is anyone familiar enough with U.S. laws and online donation processes
to answer this question?

My non-profit apparently just got notifiied (by one state) that in order
to take online donations you must be registered with each and every U.S.
State, with their sales tax division, Secretary/Treasurer, whatever they
call it.

This of course would mean having to register with each of 50 states.
With a commercial eCommerce site you only have to register with your
local state as I understand.  Seems like a pretty harsh rule for a
non-profit.

-Bob