[thelist] PEAR vs PHP

misterhaan misterhaan at track7.org
Fri May 14 08:38:00 CDT 2010

On 5/14/2010 6:50 AM, Jack Timmons wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Kevin Stevens<kjs at ratking.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>>   I have downloaded and installed WAMP but the problem I am
>> having is that the book uses PEAR to connect to the database, but  PHP 5
>> doesn't seem to be able to do this.

you likely have to get and install PEAR separately.  you can find their
installation instructions at http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.php

i used PEAR::DB when i first learned php.  eventually i had a cron job
hitting the database that kept getting killed for running too long, so i
changed it to the native php functions instead of PEAR::DB and it
stopped getting killed.  so at least back before there was a php 5, PEAR
was slower at accessing the database.