[thelist] ajax example - php / mysql

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 02:01:52 CDT 2010

On 21/05/2010 04:55, Bob Meetin wrote:
> Jay Turley wrote:
>> Bob-
>>
>> Are you set on using the raw XMLHttpRequest object? Or are you open to
>> using a framework like jQuery?
>>
>> Granted there's some overhead associated with loading it, but once you
>> open the door to AJAX, the next thing you know, there's progressive
>> enhancement all over your pages.
>>
>> -Jay
> It's hard to be set on something when you are a complete novice.
> Almost all of my websites are in Joomla which makes extensive use of
> MooTools and some components, jQuery. I know there can be conflicts if
> you aren't savvy about MooTools and jQuery, but in either case I'm not
> a JavaScript coder.
> At this point I would just like to see a couple simple working
> examples which interact with the database that I can tinker with.
>
> -Bob
How about that then?
http://davidwalsh.name/basic-ajax-requests-mootools

Instead of hello world make your PHP do the database stuff you want -
Ajax is just a way to get to the data - you cannot access a MySQL DB in
Ajax.

In my book I explain Ajax from start to end and here is the code which
is not hard to read either:
http://beginningjavascript.com/Chapter8/index.html

If you want a longer, gentle introduction this smashingmag article might
help:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/02/10/some-things-you-should-know-about-ajax/

Chris