[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Oct 25 16:02:22 CDT 2010

I'm soaking up many of the comments and slowly working down a task list,
not simply to address coffee-shop performance, but optimization in
general, and then more specifically reasonable expectations and some
diagnostics when in unqualified environments.

Some background fodder:  The site in question commonly loads the home
page in about 2 1/2 seconds at home where I have average 1.5Mbps
broadband.  The client reported pages loading in 3 1/2 minutes at the
coffee shot that one day.  I didn't notice any issues that day and the
logging I set up showed nothing unusual, very low load average.

Just to be sure, the s/a staff suggested I might set up some varying
crawling delays in the robots.txt.  So for each website hosted on that
VPS server I'll set up some varying delays.  Reading along, it appears
that Google doesn't recognize delays, but has it's own thing set up
through google webmaster tools.  Looking through google's webmaster eyes
at one of my sites it appears to be configured to:  .016 requests /
second or 62.5 seconds between requests.  That seems pretty high to me
already as the general crawl delay recommendations were typically 5
seconds.  Feedback?

CDN - I'd heard of the infamous Content Delivery Network, but never
before been there.  Does anyone on the list have any general feedback on
any noticeable improvement when employed on a CMS?

I'll be testing a number of cacheing/compressing extensions during the
week - we shall see what this brings.

-Bob