[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:15:05 CST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> There were about 40 connections from 178.128.228.250 and another 20 or so
> from 68.74.86.48, Greece and the U.S. I could block these for the future,
> but how do I know if they are valid.

Does your logging capture user-agent info? Might be a spider; even if
the UA string isn't obviously one, look at the requested URLs to see if
they resemble typical spider requests.

Also look at the interval between requests; you might as well block a
badly behaved spider that's hitting you with a lot of requests at once...

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan