[thelist] Multi-lingual site

Graham Hays graham.hays at visualcomputing.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 03:23:33 CDT 2011

Thanks for that -- some other info I should have put in:
1. we already have the domain names so were considering (under option1)
simply redirecting the user from xxx.es to xxx.com/es
2. we have links (not yet active [display:none]) on all pages linking to the
same page in the other language(s) (xxx.com/fred.html <-> xxx.es/fred.html)
although at this stage all the links are to xxx.es/default). I have a Python
script that easily changes these so whichever option we use we can change
the links. [anyone think this is overkill in having links between all
pages?]

Regarding language specific css - yes that's a point as even Spanish can be
considerably longer than English, will keep an eye on that.

Browser options - no we are not planning on using browser preferences
(assume you mean were the language changes  according to where you are?) --
personally they p*ss me off, just because I live in Spain [which I do]
doesn't mean I want everything in Spanish [which I don't] (Adobe please take
note!)