[Javascript] Sorry, another question.

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:46:49 CDT 2001

>Slightly different question this time involving changing the font style of
>an anchor tag in Netscape 4.7.  Can it be done?

Nope. Well, you can use separate layers for each individual normal and
mouseover link, but it's far too much work generally, besides that you have
to position all layers absolutely, which is again lots of work.

>I'm trying this way, :
>
>function changeLink(obj)
>{
>     obj.className = 'clsNewClassName';
>}
>
>where clsNewClassName is the new class i want it to use.  no joy there, it
>doesn't even error.

As you noted, you can change the properties to whatever you like, but the
browser won't react. Apart from the style properties there are several such
strange dead ends in NN4.

My guess is that they added the properties and made them read/write but
couldn't manage to make the actual display on-screen change when you change
the properties.

You simply *cannot* change text dynamically in NN4.

ppk