[Javascript] Navigation Control - No back button?

Karau, Joe Joe.Karau at Kingland.com
Wed Jun 20 15:46:36 CDT 2001

It is impossible to completely eliminate the use of a back button.  However,
there is a mechanism that we have used to "train" our users not to use the
back button.

We randomly generate a value, and place it in a cookie as we enter a page,
and pass it as a parameter to all pages that a user can access from the
page.  Then, on every page we ensure that the parameter is equal to the
current value of the cookie.  If they get out of sync we redirect the user
to a totally different "out of sync" page.  We have used this to effectively
stop the user from using the back button to mess up our flow.

I'm sure there are better solutions out there, we just haven't been able to
think of one yet.  So, I hope this helps you out.
(and if you come across anything better, please let me know)

Joseph Karau
Kingland Systems
joe.karau at kingland.com
507-536-3629
AIM: jkara3629

-----Original Message-----
From: Z. Franco [mailto:zeno at citrus.ucr.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 1:01 PM
To: javascript at LaTech.edu
Subject: [Javascript] Navigation Control - No back button?

Hi all,

I need to absolutely prevent a user from returning to the previous page (a
form which inputs to a db) -- the simplest thing I can think of is removing
the back button from the browser window.  Is there a better way?

If taking the back button out of the browser window is the approach, could
you give me an idea what the code would look like?  Also, is there a good
reference (either book or web) on manipulating browser navigation controls
using jscript?

Thanks a bunch!!

Zeno