[Javascript] flash v dhtml

databarn databarn at airmail.net
Fri Jun 29 11:17:17 CDT 2001

Flash is nice for a targeted audience that has the same perceptual capabilities as the developer(s).  But you know what . . . I couldn't see the menus on any of the three sites mentioned so far.  I'm at a resolution of 1600x1200, and the grey/white on black menus simply do not render well enough to read.  On a "normal" (is there such a thing?) site, I can change font size - may mess up the developer's concepts, but I can still see the site, get a grasp of what was intended.  Can't do that with flash.  Know a colour-blind guy that just leaves Flash sites - he can't do anything with most of them because of contrast issues.

With something like 10% of the world colour-blind to some extent, and about 15% severely visually impaired (don't have reliable stats on this last percentage), I just cannot see Flash as a viable entry page to a general population commercial site, nor as a primary content container for the pages of such a site.  Nice intro to a commercial animation site, though.

Make a good day . . .
			 . . . barn
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.