[Javascript] pop-up window when a user leaves

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Mon May 21 10:31:24 CDT 2001

    Isn't that usually what porn sites do? (I've only heard...)

    This pop-up doesn't always work (i.e. I can select a site from my address bar without setting off the onUnload), but even if it did, would the users really want that?

    Also, ASP wouldn't be much use for the off-site request, since your page would be loaded and finished by the time the new "outside" page was selected.  You could probably store your domain/IP in client-side variables and check the destination in your onUnload -- you'd probably need to experiment to see what property (e.g. window.history(1), window.location.href, etc) holds the upcoming URL -- but this will still be sketchy in terms of its effectiveness.

Just some random musings...