[Javascript] Getting their values

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Mon Nov 5 12:54:21 CST 2001

| 1. How to know which element called the function (without arguments in a
| function e.g. do_it(test))?

    What's wrong with a function parameter?  doIt(this) will send a
reference to object itself as the parameter, e.g. if a select box calls
doIt(this) then function doIt(param) can display param.selectedIndex, which
will be the selectedIndex value of the calling object.

| 2. I've saved an objects name into another variable (var something =
| Practice; I have a <div> element with an id called Practice). But how can
| now reference to this object  thru variable called something?

    I believe you want the eval function, which turns a string into a
variable name.  For example,

var myForm = eval("document.formName");

will set the myForm variable equal to the form.

Cheers,

Peter