[Javascript] focus() not working in NN6

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:33:53 CST 2001

>I'm trying to find some insight into why this code does
>not work in NN6. This code is the event handler for an
>href tag. When I click the link, the new window opens
>and the correct URL loads, but then the original window
>gets the focus almost immediately. If I comment out the
>newWindow.focus() line, the new window is displayed for
>a few seconds longer, but it still loses focus.

Exactly what code do you use in the A tag? My guess is that you click the
link, the new window starts up and afterwards the normal thing happens: the
link is followed, and leads to the same page because you set its href
property. This last action, I think, returns the focus to the old window
because it's the last in which something happens.

Solution: try returning false so that the original link isn't followed. This
should keep the focus on the popup.

ppk