[Javascript] Help wanted re. Daylight-Saving Time values

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 03:51:08 CST 2001

>http://www.qsl.net/ei8ic/timetest.html
>
>The problem with the display is that apart from the 'Local Time' box, none
>of the others show daylight-saving offsets. The reason for this is that
>although its possible to find out the local computer offset using the
>'getTimezoneOffset()' command, it doesn't tell you whether the offset is
>currently in use. Therefore, all the other time zones have to be referenced
>to gmt, (the only safe point of reference) when in fact they should really
>be referenced to gmt+offset, if offset is in use.
>
>The computer knows when to turn daylight-saving time on and off, but I'm
>not
>even sure if everybody changes on the same day ?

No. In fact, daylight saving is the most complex matter in date and time
calculating. I always devoutly assume that the browser keeps track of this,
and if it doesn't, Too Bad.

As far as I understand getTimezoneOffset should reflect daylight saving
time, but no doubt some browser will have some bug.

Sorry, I think it would be best to forget about it and hope everything goes
well.

ppk