[Javascript] Can a reloaded parent window close its child?

Paul Novitski javascriptlist at dandemutande.org
Sat Dec 27 17:18:17 CST 2003

Since the child can still see the parent, I'm trying to persuade the child
to monitor the parent's status and close itself if the parent changes
(reloads).

1) One approach I've tried is for the parent to contain a hidden input
object containing the date & time as stamped when the parent last
loaded.  The child could keep checking this object and close itself when
the object changes value or disappears:

var ParentLoaded = window.opener.document.ParentForm.ParentTimestamp.value;

while (ParentLoaded ==
window.opener.document.ParentForm.ParentTimestamp.value){
}
window.close();

2) Another method might be for the child to watch for the UnLoad event in
the parent, e.g.:

window.opener.captureEvents(Event.UNLOAD);
window.onUnLoad = handleUnLoad;
function handleUnLoad(){
         window.close();
}

Alas, I have not yet been able to get either of these techniques to work.

Paul