[Javascript] open same window ?

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Wed Mar 26 06:54:25 CST 2003

Well, almost.

You can tamper with the window-level chrome via CSS or by DOM JavaScript, but the effects may not manifest unless you do a forced comprehensive window refresh (like doing a combo form/handler application).  However, the experience of having a window
suddenly change its chrome and geometry while you are looking at it is sufficiently startling as to make this undesireable from an aesthetic standpoint, if from no other.  Generally it is simply easier to set these parameters at the build, and both
Netscape and IE have ways of defining the default chrome in the command line (albeit in rather undocumented ways).  JavaScript makes this easier, as you can control exactly what the opening window looks like in detail (although the titlebar is damned hard
to purge).

Apologies to Andrew, who was right in all ways that mattered.

-- Dave Lovering