[Javascript] Help with text file

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Wed Oct 15 14:08:48 CDT 2003

Have you tried XML? Maybe learn to use XSLT to format the data
(something I haven't yet done)

It sounds like you have a considerable amount of data to parse in
javascript- if you could make a transformation language do it for you,
the result would be more "pre-chewed"

Of course, that learning adds to the delivery cost of this project.

The data is a URL? Or a UNC?  If the user is offline, with a local copy
of the data - and your page is trying to access the local file system,
then you might be hitting a rights problem.  If you do have local/on
disk data, consider using the Scripting.FileSystemObject and setting the
page's rights to allow instantiation of that object.  (it can be a
security risk though, so it's not available by default, and you wouldn't
want the whole internet having access to that control on your machine)