[Javascript] Memory Useage

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Oct 27 13:36:18 CST 2003

Tim Makins wrote:

> I have a requirement for quite a bit of data on a page, to be accessed from
> Javascript. For instance, 6000 names, each with lat/lon coordinates,
> accessed from a series of drop-downs. The easy way would be to store them in
> an array, but I am a bit concerned that  viewer's computers might not be
> able to cope. Am I right to think this, or is it not a problem ?

Uh, how high is up?  :-)

A bit hard to hazard an opinion without knowing (1) anything about
your audience, or (2) what you're going to be doing with the data.

If (1) is general population, sure, a 32MB iMac might struggle with
it -- if it's mostly Sun Blade 1000s, or Athlon 64s/Intel P4s with
2GB of memory, no worries!

And if you're doing lots of manipulation involving in-memory copies,
that'll have an influence, too.

Seems easy enough to do a quick test, though :-)

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.