[Javascript] Memory Useage

Chris Tifer christ at saeweb.com
Mon Oct 27 14:11:45 CST 2003

> Do you really need 6000 points in this dataset?  I bet the user is only
> concerned with one at a time.
>
> If you're building a client-side application that minimizes
> 'round-tripping' then I guess you would want all the data delivered at
> once...   I'm just questioning the usefulness of a 6000 entry drop-down
> box.  (the scrollbar's box would be about 1 pixel high and only move 1
> pixel for each few pages of data)
>
> Sorry I provide no useful insight towards the answer

I'm with you - even though I didn't mention it in my first reply. More often
than not, there's a better way of doing it than the one you've set out on. I
wouldn't ever try to retrieve info on 6,000+ customers/items at one try.
There's probably a very good way of breaking this information into more
manageable chunks.