[Javascript] dynamic product display

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Fri Jun 11 14:15:23 CDT 2004

>That's great Mike and with all due respect I never asked anyone to
>contribute in writing the code or anything similar to that end.
>What I was looking for was for a reference to the underlying principles
>in used to achieve a similar task such as a good reference for let's say
>arrays assuming arrays were deeply involved.

   Sorry if that came off with an attitude.

To answer you original question: (rather than comment on someone else's response)

My point about other people's script still stands, but if you feel like taking a look at code that
was not exactly written for review, check out the menu at www.PGIProducts.com

The menu loads just two categories: "The Essentials" and "Category" - upon either a hover or a
click on "Category," the javascript makes an XMLHTTP call to MenuSrvr.asp and retrieves the
drill-down content.  The intent was that the site would scale to thousands of products with a very
extensive menu.  Rather than attempting to dump all the code of a complete DHTML menu, this
strategy retrieves only what is required at each moment.  (of course, the site is still too young
to take much advantage of it)  The mID property is the id value from the SQL menu table, which
relates to a product query to determine content.

That might not exactly help, since it's not really like the swatch watches example.